[rescue] Re: Is it dead?

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 00:05:55 CDT 2001

[Woo, cutting the quoting down *and* combining replies. It is possible!]

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, David Thomas wrote:

> I've got a Sun 670MP just got a memory bank filled up, powered it on,
> the lights come up and nothing happens. The diagnostic LEDS on the back
> all light up with no blinking or oscillating it just sits there. Do I
> have a really big paperweight?

I'll second the suggestion of a serial console check. Might put the diag
switch (physical switch) on to see if it makes a difference on the
console.

> From: Kevin Loch <kloch at opnsys.com>
>
> Did you fill the memory bank with 4meg or 16 meg simms?  It supposedly
> won't work with 1meg simms.

The 1meg simms are not "supported" but do work. I have a mainboard with a
bank of 4meg and a bank of 1meg, and a memory expansion board filled with
1meg simms that did work. You need to have matched banks of 16 pieces
each, and they have to be true parity.

> From: "Michael S. Schiller" <schiller at mail.agrijag.com>
>
> I don't recall the exact layout, but I know that a logical memory
> block and a physical one are 2 different things. (the logical ones are
> interleaved I believe)

At least on the main board, each bank is a physically contiguous row of 16
sockets. I have a row of 501-1544 (1MB 100ns according to my list) and a
row of 3-chip 4MB generics.

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows