[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Fogg, James rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 4 09:28:55 CDT 2001

> > According to this New York Times article ,
> > HP will be acquiring Compaq in a stock deal worth
> approximately $25 billion.

Some thoughts...

I wonder if Compaq is really worth $25B, I mean, what do they really have
besides a name? PC stuff changes daily, so don't count on something PC-ish
holding its value. DEC is adios, so I don't know if its really worth much
now that Compaq has contaminated the DEC culture and engineering. Didn't
they aquire SCO Unix? Isn't that as dead as DEC now?

Maybe they are just trying to eliminate a competitor.

HP historically sucks in the PC market (kickass machines in their commercial
lines though). Usually when a competitor is aquired the parent company
discharges all duplicate job titles (like all the management staff) to make
the operation more "efficient". Does HP think they won't suck if they
discharge the Compaq staff and run it like they did HP?