[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 4 00:22:15 CDT 2001

On Mon, 2001-09-03 at 21:09, Chad Fernandez wrote:
> Wow, I wonder what lines will get cut, and which will be allowed to
> continue.  When companies merge or get bought out, product lines always
> get clipped.

Of course.  They get clipped because of overlap.  Compaq just committed
to support Alpha based servers through, what 2004?  Is that all going
away?  If I was an Alpha customer, I'd be getting nervous about now.

> I wonder which version of Unix will get scrapped, HPUX or True64?

And what about OpenVMS?  :)

> The article said that the combined company would almost be as big as
> IBM.  Anybody know how close either company is by itself?  I always
> thought Compaq was second, next to IBM.  I have heard that Acer is
> third, but that is probably only PCs.

Dell is probably second to IBM, only if you count everything that IBM
makes.  There are a few lines of IBM equipment that Dell doesn't compete
for.  :-)  I know that Dell Laptops and Desktops outsell everyone else
on the market, and that Compaq was number 1 until Dell beat them.  Not
sure how servers factor into this.  IBM hasn't held the sales crown for
PC manufacture for a long time.  Can anybody say 'PCjr'?

> Bill Bradford wrote:
> > (hrm, I bet we're having a meeting at work about this tomorrow, as we're
> >  a Sun/Compaq shop, with only two HPUX boxes right now...)

Sounds like a good opportunity to move to more Sun boxes, huh?  :)
	Greg