[rescue] RE: Powerbook 5XX's (Joshua D Boyd)

Andrew Weiss rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 31 17:23:59 CST 2001

> > However, one could take it as a personal project to bludgeon Darwin back
> > to where it belongs (68ks), then run XFree and GNUstep on top.  Sorta
> > similar.  I wonder if anyone has started trying to aquify GNUstep yet...

hmmm.  Well supposing Darwin gets up and running on 68k, and supposing
someone hacks together a Quartz compatible display environment... the
pieces that are missing are: Everything else.  I highly doubt anyone would
write any software for it (at best you would get BSD UNIX and
Cocoa/GNUSTEP for 68K Darwin, no Carbon, and no Classic)... certainly not
the Adobe and Microsofts of this world.  So it would be sort of like a way
to drag a pseudo OPENSTEP 4.2 implementation along on dead hardware.  I
think I'd rather run straight Linux or BSD on my Quadras, recompliling and
using Netinfo if need be.  Besides supplanting PPC with 68k is kind of
wonky (re:  bludgeoning back where it belongs).  I'm more than glad that I
have POWER family RISC based machines thank you... heh darn 68k CISC
boxen.  And despite my anti-intel feelings, a port to intel of most of OS
X would be good, but I still don't want to see the product happen.

Andrew