[rescue] upgrading sun pcii card

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 29 11:01:12 CST 2001

Steve,

The chipset and board jumpers will support a P3 up to 1 ghz (100mhz bus
speed, 10 multiplier is the max for the chipset) , but I havent tried it
yet. I was thinking of picking up a p3 800 or so for experimentation
since they are relativley cheap these days. Once you hit the ghz mark
I'm not sure what the results would be due to heat and power supply
issues anyway, and theres only the 1 ghz 100mhz FSB P3 anyway.

I do know that it works quite nicely with 512mb ram, and I think that it
will take 512M SO-DIMMS if you can find any even though Sun says it cant
cuz the chipset they are using has a 1.5GIG memory max. When Sun
released the thing 512mb so-dimms werent available.

Chris Byrne