[rescue] Wooohhhooo XP -> 0 to BSOD in 12min23sec

Steve Sandau rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 26 22:26:20 CDT 2001

I firmly believe that Windows is used because "everyone else does" and
XP will be purchased because it's newer and must be better. Kids want
things because "everyone else has one" and many adults are no different.

We (in general) want something for nothing. We want to have the power of
computing without having to learn anything. I think that's not only not
possible, but downright stupid. An interface cannot be so intuitive as
to require no learning. "The only interface that is intuitive is the
nipple. Everything else is learned."

This goes right along with weight loss schemes that don't require a
diet, muscle-building regimes that require no exercise and so on. In
marketing terms Micros~1 *is* giving people what they want: something
for no effort (just too much money). In some ways this *is* vaporware.
They're selling a concept of reward for no effort, and the public is
buying.

Speaking of brainwashing... I remember a sales rep calling me and asking
if we were considering upgrading any of our servers to Windows NT. I
asked what we might possibly have on any server that would make Windows
NT an upgrade. Stopped him.