[rescue] Wooohhhooo XP -> 0 to BSOD in 12min23sec

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 26 05:37:40 CDT 2001

So they upgraded one of our feecees to winXP. After being disgusted by the
crappy aqua imitation (what the heck is this candy button shit?) running
on a VLSI design station, yup it looks "professional" running all of
these pastel blue themes..... I will proceed to relate all the fun we have
had so far with it.

OK, so for fun we placed a running clock on top of the machine, just to
see when the machine would crash (the guy that installed the OS said..
guys that clock need to meassure uptime in years, ha, ha...). So we start
the count from boot time -> 0:00
	       	machine starts....
	  	we log in, we get all confused because M$ has changed once
		again all the files/controls/etc location.
		We start winamp... (gotta have them MP3s ya know) no problem
		so far...
		open an ssh session.... yeah so far so good...
		then I realize I want to print some Matlab results I
		needed.... open Matlab.... aannnnnnddd
		babbbooom -> 1st Blue Screen of Death under XP. Time on
		the clock -> 12'23''

The new and improved BSOD does 2 things. 1st it blames some device driver
(in this case was complaining about our videoboard), and then it does a
core dump. This is on an "XP certified machine" being installed by an "XP
certified technician."

"Virtually Crash Proof" my ass!. The support guy starts to make a bunch of
excuses. Dunno what the heck he does for 1 hr but the machine gets back
up. I then decided to give a second run, maybe the OS was not warm enough
(like a car in winter or something).... so I start some of our mentor
tools. And again... BSOD. So basically we have a very expensive DELL
precission station P4 dunno howmany GHZ with 1+GB of memory that can not
run ANY serious app. This time it took like 4mins to crash!

Then we get the machine back up, by this time I just want to browse the
net. Then we notice the machine to be significantly slower w. internet
tasks than some of our W2K machines. So we time side by side, and XP is
way slower (even ping) than W2K.

What the heck is this shit? I am sorry but this is just an insult to
Computer Science. I check my solaris box with over 150 days uptime, this
XP crap so far measures uptime in minutes. Then I look over our G4 and see
what a lame copy of aqua this "luna" POS is.

I am sorry but if I have to run synthesis tools that take days to complete
I am going to keep my "slow" sparc. Yeah, it might be slower but at least
it gets there, so far XP seems like a ticking bomb. In a truly "free
market" products like these would be thrown to the trash and the companies
behind them would be out of business. This must be stopped...