[rescue] xyplex

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 24 13:47:17 CDT 2001

> I also have a Maxserver 1600 here, with 4MB RAM, but it keeps
> dumping core on me when booting via tftp.
>
> 01:40:59 tftpd[13205]: tftpd: trying to get file: xpcsrv20.sys
> 01:40:59 tftpd[13205]: tftpd: serving file from /tftpboot
> 01:42:26 tftpd[13207]: tftpd: trying to get file: x018475.dmp
> 01:42:26 tftpd[13207]: tftpd: serving file from /tftpboot
>
> After that, it starts again by reading the system file...

i am seeing the same behavior.

> The dump file is quite large:  5220876 Oct 11 01:42 x018475.dmp

i'm booting mine via MOP and i don't have my VMS box setup to allow dumps so
i don't know the size since it just flat out fails.

> Anyway, as far as I understood, it should be possible
> to get some form of system prompt on one of the console
> ports even if there's no OS on the machine - but until now,
> I didn't get it to send me anything...

you put a terminal on ANY port (kicks ass really) and kit enter a lot and
you'll get that port to be console, then you need to push the little reset
button to the right of the run/lan/console lights, hold it until the thing
resets and finishes all it's test, then get on the terminal and start hitting
enter and you should get to the rom prompt.

that's all off the top of my head since i haven't had time to mess with thing
thing lately, let us know if you find anything, maybe i'll get a chance to
mess around sometime.

-brian