[rescue] Just a thought - what would be a good starter SPARC system these days?

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 24 13:28:17 CDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 23, 2001 at 01:53:48PM -0400, Steve Sandau wrote:
> I think what it comes down to is that to be an effective administrator,
> one needs to know *all* the tools, text and GUI. I think that makes the
> most effective administrator. Having a choice of how to do something is
> usually helpful.

i can't really agree with you.  i don't think the GUI tools should be pushed
so hard.  i don't mind them being taught, but the command line tools are ALWAYS
at your disposal, the GUI ones?  not always.  usually these days, but there is
going to be a time that they aren't available.

also, there is no scriptability of GUI stuff.  what would take me 120 clicks
and drags in the disksuite GUI (or the veritas GUI) could be done with 5-6
lines of shell script which can be done right on the command line.  so you
are not using an "easier" tool,  you are using a brain rotting tool that is
holding you back.

but who am i to say?  i've only been doing this for 10 years.

-brian