[rescue] Just a thought - what would be a good starter SPARC system these days?

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 22:16:24 CDT 2001

> Didn't the book you contributed to require GUI access to the server?
>
> I am not saying that is wrong, but GUI access is assumed in all the books I
> see.

yes, it is wrong.  i have yet to work for a place that has framebuffers on its
servers.  no-one in their right mind would pay extra for a framebuffer on a
SERVER.  so if you rely on a GUI to admin your machine you are screwed if you
get a job anywhere i've ever worked.

to require it?  no.  not needed, don't do it.  make it optional?  sure, make it
extra credit?  go right ahead.  the GUI has NOTHING to do with administrating
a real machine.

> And as soon as someone figures out how to put "field training" in a *book*,
> the publishers  will offer it - until then, books will only be good for
> "book learning" ;^)

that's a whole other rant. :)

-brian