Computer Tolerance (Re: [rescue] Just a thought ...)

Matthew Haas rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 14:38:49 CDT 2001

> ah - there is the rub - folks I talk to today want to
> learn Solaris8 as it is the "latest/greatest" - they
> don't want to "learn" 2.5.1 or 2.6 or 2.7 - that is so
> "old"....and of course an SS2 won't run Sol8...so the
> basic premise is back to what's the minimum to run Sol8....

I think that's a growing issue among new people to computers (and/or
UNIX)... for many of us, an SS-2 or IPX would be an EXCELLENT machine for
newcomers (as well as a great server for many applications).

But those people look at it and ask "How fast is it?" and when you say
"40MHz, what does it matter?" They simply laugh and/or mock you. It can be
quite annoying (at least for me) at times to try and explain things to
people (esp. being a Computer Science student) to other Computer Science
students, and get snide remarks like "what do you know, you're running a
3MHz system..." or (and this REALLY gets me).. "What good is that Sun
[E450 Ultra-4]? The benchmarks I just performed on my PeeCee blow it out
of the water! What a piece of junk!"

It is definitely a sad state of affairs for these people to be so limited
in their perception (and appreciation) of good hardware. Just because it
is old doesn't mean it is useless.

Oh well, just my rant... I'll go back to my obsolete and * completely
useless * SGI Indigo now, as it can't possibly be used for anything
anymore...

-Matthew