[rescue] Tricking DNS - summary so far

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 15:14:19 CDT 2001

> "Stick with the hosts file and use rdist to distribute it."
>
> Oh, that this were an all-Unix network.  It's Windows PCs, mostly.  I
> _could_ actually automaticaly distribute the host file, using a Windows
> batch file, and I may do that.  I really wish Windows had symbolic links

Check out the MS support section on login scripts for your windows clients.
It's *really* easy to setup.  In a nutshell, you create a domain login
script in /winnt/system32/repl/something/something (the 'netlogon' special
share) and setup each user's profile to execute that script on login.  Set
the script to pull the new hosts file from the server.  Pretty easy to setup
actually.

Kurt