[rescue] Capacitor labeling?

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 14:29:03 CDT 2001

While moving an x86 motherboard from one case to another,
I broke off a small surface-mount capacitor near the BIOS
PROM.  When I tested the system just afterwards it still
booted fine, but it now is a non-booty.

The capacitor is a small silver can, a little larger than a
pencil eraser, with one almost-hemisphere shaded black,
and some codes on it that don't seem to just jump out
of Google.  It's got a "22" on it that makes me think it's
a 22 microfarad jobbie, but I'm not sure--and the last time
I played with discrete electronic components like that
was 10+ years ago.

I think I can use a steady hand and a pencil iron to solder
a replacement in--but the one that broke off doesn't have
enough of its leads left to be re-usable.

- Can anyone confirm that 22 microfarad is reasonable
  for the necessary replacement capacitance?
- Any suggestions as to a replacement, or how best
  to determine one?

Thanks to anyone who can help--

  --Rip