BIND 9 rndc hints (was: [rescue] Tricking DNS)

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 13:21:14 CDT 2001

> With the 9.2.0 release canditates, there is also a
> tool called rndc-confgen, with will either create
> sample configs for rndc.conf and the key part in
> named.conf (or alternativleny anc rndc.key file).

True.
However, even upon the release of 9.2.0, I won't
be recommending its use until there's been some
additional testing.  We have a good relationship
with ISC/Nominum (I've got CVS access...) and I
respect the programmers.  They state that the bug
fixes in 9.2.0 will make it more stable upon
release than 9.1.3.  I state that the new and
untested features in 9.2.0 make it problematic for
operational use, and we'll likely wait for 9.2.1
before doing any significant operational fielding
of 9.2.x.

YMMV--but rndc-confgen *is* pretty doggone neat.
Wish it had been part of the 9.1.0 release...

--
Rip Loomis
Senior Systems Security Engineer, SAIC CIST