[rescue] Tricking DNS

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Oct 21 22:24:12 CDT 2001

> This works very well, but updating the hosts files on all the machines is
> PITA.  I'm running a local caching DNS server, and I'd rather do it there
if
> I can.
>
> Clues appreciated.  Thanks.

Been there, done that.  With BIND it's easy - make your DNS server
authoritative for the domains in question.  This can be daunting with DJBDNS
though - I don't really have a good answer for that one...

Assuming your affected machines are all *nix, you could run rsync between
them and a master to automatically upate /etc/hosts.

Kurt