[rescue] SGI Personal Iris Systems

Don McClure rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 17 20:36:05 CDT 2001

on 10/17/01 12:18 PM, s at avoidant.org at s at avoidant.org wrote:

> So I stopped by Mr. McGuire's house yesterday, and he sent me on my way
> with the last 4 Personal Iris systems he had sitting there.
>
> Problem is, there're no drive brackets, and no memory. I can hook up
> external SCSI drives for now, so that part's minor. The hard part will
> be memory, especially for the 4D/35, which takes proprietary 68-pin
> SIMMs. Anybody know where I can get some?
>
> Also, the 4D/2x line takes 30-pin parity. Someone here mentioned
> recently that they had a bit of a surplus thereof. If it was you, will
> you please let me know? I'd really like to get some. Otherwise I may
> have to strip out an SS2.
>
> Anyone need parts? I'd like to get one or two working systems out of
> this pile, and am likely to have stuff left over...
>

> ---sambo

I got two of these from Dave a couple weekends ago (Thanks again, Dave! I
hope you have forgiven me for leaving your SGI repair manual and screwdriver
in the back of your Unimog. I guess I was just too excited by all that cool
stuff you've got there.)

I was luckier. The 4D/2x has a Seagate ST41600N in the side mount (did you
check there?) and seems to boot as far as it will go without a keyboard. All
the ram slots are filled, though I haven't checked what's there yet.

The 4D/35 has some ram, but no HD. The fault light on it flashes. Hopefully
its only hurtin' for a HD.

So I might need some parts eventually. There seems to be stuff missing from
the top drive cage of the 4D/35.

Be sure to check out:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/2258/4dfaq.html

Don McClure