[rescue] RS/6000??

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 17 00:47:20 CDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 10:28:58PM -0700, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> Original: POWER1/2 + Microchannel
> Cheapo Original: PowerPC + Microchannel
> Spicy: POWER3 + PCI(64bit)
> Crispy: PowerPC + PCI

Are the PPCs and POWERs binary compatible?

> POWER4 could be considered the negative of the Itanium (or whatever that
> monstrosity is called). It is funny to see the PWR4 beating the crap out of
> Merced.... after intel claimed that there was no more life for RISC...

Yeah well, everyone claimed there was no more life to CISC, and yet the
P4s are fairly fast.  Horribly painfull to work on, and tremendously
wasteful, but still pretty stinking fast, especially for integer code.  I
do most of my work in integers anyway.  I still think that if it can be
done using rational numbers that rational numbers are the way to go.

> Yup some of the POWER3 processors run at a "pathetic" 375MHz, yet they
> kick the living shit out of a 1.4Ghz P4. And I am talking about real FP
> code, not synthetic market-o-benchmarks. I am sick of people comparing
> 32bit processors performance with 64bit processors (it is all fun and
> games until someone asks them intel reps if those MFLOPS are DP!!!)

MFLOPS are DP?

And what the heck do you mean by a pathetic 375mhz.  My desktop box is a
P2-350, and it has far from pathetic performance (although the performance
to heat/noise ratio sucks, as does the stability at times).

--
Joshua D. Boyd