[rescue] [Semi-OT] Sun History

Scotty Logan rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 16 22:04:40 CDT 2001

Yup, SUN was originally an acronym for Stanford University Network.
There's apparently still a SUN-1 on campus in the Gates Comp Sci
Building (there's an oxymoron):

http://www-db.stanford.edu/pub/voy/museum/pictures/display/SUN.htm

There's a picture of the first Sun board:

There's also the original Google storage system:

http://www-db.stanford.edu/pub/voy/museum/pictures/display/0-4-Google.ht

Both we spun off (probably through the Office of Technology Licensing),
along with Cisco, Yahoo, SGI & MIPS.

Maybe I'll take the camera into work one day, wander over and take some
pictures.

  Scotty

--
Scotty Logan <swl at stanford.edu>