[rescue] Re: NCD Explora 700 Software (Stephen Worotynec)

Andrew Weiss rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 16 20:05:27 CDT 2001

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:44:19 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Stephen Worotynec <sgw at vex.net>
> To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] NCD Explora 700 Software
>

> Catching up to this a bit late.
>
> Requests for "NCDware" come up on the list now and then - it is
> frustrating, because there seem to be a lot of abandoned NCD terminals
> out
> there destined to become doorstops or worse. NCDware isn't free, though
> lots of other things may be on the NCD ftp site. An ancient X-terminal
> isn't worth $US300 or so to me, anyhow.
>
> In contrast, HP has put Envizex software up for download. If you have a
> chance to rescue one of those, they should be useable as HP provides the
> needed software bits.
>
> Steve Worotynec
> -with an NCD HMX doorstop

Along with the many RS/6000's, Sparcs, and Macs I recently picked up for
$100 I got an NCD X-terminal model MCX-L.  I was considering using it or
just cutting the CPU out and making a keychain or otherwise preserving
it since it's my first exposure to the elusive Motorola 88100.... Hmmm
if only I could find a nice old DG-UX machine :-).... since I'm never
going to get my hands on a NeXT cube prototype.

Anyone have any idea ... on another note... what a prototype Powermac
8100 would go for... it's got all the stickers... i.e. Not approved by
the FCC... and serial numbers with $'s in it.  It was made in 1993
before the first 8100/80AV's came out but that is what it is a prototype
of.  I took out the old 500MB HD and put it in a Quadra but the rest of
the parts are original issue AFAIK.  I think the monitor (I haven't
picked it up yet... taking 2 loads)... stand has a bar-code sticker that
says property of Apple Computer Inc.

Andrew