[rescue] WTT: Sun SRC/P RAID cards for Sun 2channel UltraSCSI cards

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 21:11:15 CDT 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> uhm, ahhh.  do i even NEED to point out how silly a policy that is if you have
> hardware raid in your hands?

Difficult to say.  The overhead of 1, 0, or 1+0 in software is minimal.  I
agree, using software RAID 5 when you have a possible hardware solution is
silly.

> policy should NEVER get in the way of common sense.

Having run some reasonably large server farms I have to disagree.
Standardization has a value in and of itself.  It should certainly never
be followed blindly but the benefits of sticking to one configuration
should not be underestimated.

-James