[rescue] RS/6000??

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 21:09:01 CDT 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 ssandau at bath.tmac.com wrote:

> Do I need a monitor and keyboard for an RS/6000, or can I just hook up a
> VT100 and null modem cable like a SPARC? Or is that too general a
> question?

A serial terminal will be fine.

> The RS/6000 I was looking at on eBay appears to be a desktop style (a
> 7011-250??). There's also a 59H which the seller tells me is
> 23"x25"x14". (Now that's a computer! Tho, not quite as much as the

The 250 is a little pizzabox unit, about the size of a SS1/2/4/5/10/20.
They're small, quiet, comparable to a SS5 in speed and take cheap memory.
Onboard SCSI/ethernet goodness, some may have framebuffers.  Expandability
is limited (2 microchannel slots).

The 59H is a "deskside" box, and quite a nice one at that.  It's fairly
fast (it was very fast for the time) and very expandable.  It definitely
has a high "coolness" factor but will be more expensive to run.  It's
comparable in speed to the early Ultras in many ways (very fast in
floating point).

Both will run fine under AIX 4.3.3, but some cards in them may not.

> Shipping for the 59H would be more than the cost of the unit itself!

Look at a freight company like BAX Global or Forward Air, they offer
reasonable shipping charges of under $0.50/lb.

I'm surprised 59H's are that cheap, they were still commanding quite a few
$$$ only a year ago.

-James