[rescue] Powerware UPS?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 16:25:20 CDT 2001

[ On Monday, October 15, 2001 at 15:53:19 (-0500), Scott Newell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Powerware UPS?
>
> Look at it another way: it's rated at 2kVA output, so that's about 16.67 A
> (assuming 120V line).  If the input cord and plug is rated at 20A, that
> only leaves about 3.3A to charge batteries (and heat the room).  Right?
> After all, if you've got a fully loaded system, it's got to supply output
> power _and_ charge the batts without exceding the 20A (input) rating.
>
> This just in--Powerware claims minimal current drain to charge
> batteries--2A or less.

so, under load, while charging, it shouldn't draw any more than 18.7A

That's a lot more than 15A.  I'd bet a 20-foot run of 14/3 would be
warm to the touch after an hour....  :-)

In any case your insurance adjuster would not likely care what load you
had on it -- it's _rated_ to use a 20A circuit and if you have it
plugged into an obviously 15A circuit then you policy may be as good as
toast.  Even if the ajuster understood the issue fully he/she might
still use it as an example of how you've been careless about safety and
thus postulate that whatever might have actually caused the damage may
still have been a result of your obvious and now proven carelessness.

Even if your hypothetical claim were to be paid out, your agent might
still use your carlessness as a lever to pry up your rates or your
deductible.

If you're paying good money for insurance then don't mess with your
chances of being able to collect good on a claim.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>