[rescue] CD-R media

Matthew Haas rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 15:24:05 CDT 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> > I got burned bad on cheap CDR media once,  just once.
> > I spend the extra $$ and buy Kodak or Memorex.
>
> what exactly happened?  so far so good with this cheap shit.

I've always had my best luck with the 700MB Memorex media. I don't think
it has ever coastered on me.

Second on my list is Ricoh, although I once had the reflective layer in
one warp when installing Debian/SPARC off it in my Plextor 4X (got a bit
too warm)..

I picked up a spindle of PNY BlackDiamond media, as it was on sale... my
Plextor R412CSi just doesn't get along well with it... even if it does
look cool.

I've also heard good reports about Imation.

I guess the only stuff I've heard negative reports on (aside from people
who say Ricoh and Imation are problematic) FREQUENTLY include Verbatim and
Maxell... haven't personally tried them myself.

Just my $0.02

-Matthew