[rescue] Linux/Sparc

linc rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 12 11:24:25 CDT 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Big Endian wrote:

> I ran RH6.1 on a dual sm61/192/4gb AXIL320(ss20 clone) for a while
> and I was QUITE underwhelmed.  while it worked ok, the speed was
> something I saw out of a PC of the earlier vintage.  When I put
> solaris 8 on there the speed jumped tremendously.  For something like
> a 20 your best bet is likely to be solaris8.  I've never used a
> voyager so I don't know the stats on it... but if its anything like
> an ss5 it should do ok with debian/slack/heavily modified redhat.

Voyager is something like a 60mhz Sparc 5.

> The linux sparc code is just plain SLOW.  I've used linux on intel,
> alphas and sparcs and I have to say that while its faster than sol7
> its not by much.

Huh?  You are completely out of your mind!  Rh6.2 Sparc can run rings
around Solaris 7 - Lots of rings...  While I haven't yet had the
opportunity to test Solaris 8 against Linux in the same machine I would
bet Linux is still faster - and that's on a stock kernal. ( I am gonna
have to try it now just to see.)

>  If the voyager is supported by sol8 again I wold go
> with that.

Nahh, unfortunately it's not.  7 was the last one that would work on it
although not officially.  I will say, however, that I would switch to
NetBSD in a flat second if it only had DBRI sound support.

--
 12:17pm  up 60 days,  5:41,  6 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00