[rescue] Friggin sparc 5

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 11 17:09:14 CDT 2001

Simple plan:

Strip out all the hardware (both HDs, disconnect the
internal CD-ROM (remove power cable), and unplug the
tape drive.

Power up, do a stop-a as soon as possible.

Reset settings to avoid auto-boot, set boot device to
disk.

Power cycle ("reset" at OB prompt)

Unit should power up to OK> prompt.

Power off.

Then reconnect CD-ROM power.

Power on.

At OK> prompt, "probe-scsi" (should see the CD-ROM
drive)

Power down.

add in first HD.

Power on.

at OK> prompt, "probe-scsi" - should see HD & CD-ROM.

power off.

add in second HD.

power on.

at OK> prompt, "probe-scsi" - should see two HDs and
CD-ROM.

power off.

add tape drive.

power up.

at OK> prompt, "probe-scsi", should see 2 HDs, tape, &
CD-ROM.

Insert Solaris CD-ROM in CD-ROM drive.

Type "boot cdrom" Solaris should install.

If you have any problems, the cause (and cure) should
be obvious - last part added is problem.

HTH,

Ken

--- "Michael A. Turner" <mturner at whro.org> wrote:

> 	Ack , help!
>
> 	I have a sparc 5 sitting here I was supposed to
> configure a while
> ago and never did, but I did verify that it could
> boot. Needed to strip it
> and re-build (might remember that question)

=====
Ken
n2vip at yahoo.com