[rescue] AIX on PS/2 (was: What to do with an orphan DEC Professional 350?)

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 9 10:20:56 CDT 2001

> The P/75 was SCSI-based, was the P/70?

Memory says it was mfm, but you could put either a half height scsi
card and a full height ethernet card or the reverse.

> The P/75 was also able to take up to 32 Megs, but I
> could never get it working... IBM had some odd voodoo
> in those memory circuits...

Mine only held on two sticks for 8mb, at the time.  That was enough
for a minimum box.  I suppose a couple of 8mb sticks for 16mb might
work.

> The screen was nice (seemed huge at the time), and the
> full-size keyboard was cool too. I got mine from IBM
> Factory Outlet for abotu $250 way back in the day...

The screens were great!	  Alas the expandability of the
hardware was its gotcha.  I tried a scsi in it one time, but
you had to stand on your head to do the cable routing and
the back of the case was very crowded.

> My 3TX is *wayy cool* too, with it's TurboSPARC CPU
> and 128 Meg RAM! (12 Gig HD is nice too!)

Mine is just a 2, drat!  But, hey, for nil and it works!

Bob