[rescue] Re: Career Rescue

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 8 22:05:11 CDT 2001

> itself.  Labor is one of the legs.  You may be Brian to your
> boss, and maybe even your boss's boss, but to the corporation,
> you're just labor, a line item on a spreadsheet.

Right on.  I discovered right before I was laid off the last time that I was
going to be laid off.  A little digging revealed that the VP of Finance and
the VP of HR made all the decisions about who went and who stayed.  Dug a
little further before being layed off and found the reason was that they
were trying to sell the company, and had to cut costs to make it more
attractive.

The decisions were based solely on salary, and whether that person directly
interacted with clients - can't have the clients know what's happening.
Since IT and R&D doesn't interact with clients, and we were very well paid,
the whole of both teams went.

To most corporations, you're nothing but a number on a ledger sheet, and if
you're paid well (like most tech professionals are), and aren't part of
management, you're expendable.  Actually, even high paid management is
expendable, the VP of Operations went at the same as the IT and R&D
departments - his salary was $250k.  However, he had a 12 month salary
golden parachute in his contract, the rest of us got 2 weeks...

Kurt

Kurt