[rescue] Re: Career Rescue

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 8 21:34:46 CDT 2001

> Whether or not you got screwed kinda depends on how you look
> at it.  I've been downsized, rightsized, surplused, laidoff,

well, it got me laid off that i was the contractor.  i was kinda upset at
losing that job since it was an excellent job (Mack Trucks) that i loved
that was 5 minutes from home.  i didn't mind getting laid off from Agere
since i probably would have up and left pretty soon anyway.  i HATED that
job.

> itself.  Labor is one of the legs.  You may be Brian to your
> boss, and maybe even your boss's boss, but to the corporation,
> you're just labor, a line item on a spreadsheet.

Mack is owned by Renault who was just bought by Volvo.  i was WAY at the bottom
of a spreadsheet. :)

> I changed my attitude about being canned and I'm a happier
> person now.  It's an opportunity for me to move on, head off
> in a new direction, learn something new, and meet new people.

i was kinda annoyed at getting canned at Mack since i loved the job so much,
but other than that i've gotten over it.  not having a job for 5 months has
really started to grate on me, but that may all be changing very soon.  just
did a phone interview that went VERY well, and i'm going in tomorrow for the
face to face.  i'd say wish me luck, but this one is in the bag. :)

-brian