[rescue] What to do with an orphan DEC Professional 350?

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 8 17:57:27 CDT 2001

Have you seen:
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/professional/FAQ/profaq
(DEC Pro FAQ)

ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/professional/ (DEC Pro
Software)

Oh, and the memory is measured in Kilobytes, not
Megabytes!

Disksize is limited by the Disk COntroller, I think
there was a Rev. that took the capacity above 10 Meg
(or was it 5?)...

Enjoy,

Ken
(Who's Pro is still working, but I haven't really done
anything with since Dr., Dave & I got it up again
(GAWD! was the Phoney-GUI SLOW! "Watch them pixels
draw the screen!") - I have PO/S 2.X on it now, I'd
love to get the toolkit on it w/PO/S 3.2a, esp. if I
can get the compiler for Fortran)
--- BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak
<bobkeys at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu> wrote:
> > You could run a serial termianl off the printer
> port, it was a bit of a
> > hack, but it could be done... I think it was
> documented in the PRO/ToolKit
> > (serial console for debugging your own code)...
>
> Anyone have any leads on where I would find that
> info?  All I have are
> the Venix images.
>
> > I don't know if that secondary console/terminal
> could be your *only*
> > console...
>
> Well, I was just looking for something to get it up
> for testing.
> I like serial consoles, so if it did work, that
> would be fine by me.
>
> Alas, when I got the critter home, it did not have
> its 10mb hd.
> What kinds of HD's will sub into the 350, and what
> sorts of DECism
> particular formatting constraints are needed.  I
> have a couple of
> 120mb mfm drives I have been holding onto, for a
> RainyDay VAXentoy.
> But if one would work in the 350, that might be a
> nice target for it.
> What constraints are there on 350 HD's?
>
> It appears to have a 250mb ram card in it.  I was
> thinking there were
> supposed to be 250mb or somesuch on the mother
> board?  Is that correct?
> If so, then I may have 512mb ram?
>
> Are there any on-line manuals or pdfs for this
> thing.  I don't recall
> running across any, yet.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob