[rescue] Career Rescue (was DEC Pro 350, or something)

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 8 17:23:43 CDT 2001

> > Now... "consulting" is a whole different gig. I'll wipe proverbial asses
> > for $150.00/hr (my usual rate).
>
> Right on!  I don't know how many times I've had to educate consulting
> companies what an appropriate hourly rate is - and that you get what you pay
> for.

I was making 100 an hour last time I consulted from MooU, here.  That was
a few years back.  I have had some headhunter replies and some word of
mouth replies, so, maybe things wont be too much doom quake and gloom (:+}}
after I retire.  With the tiny retirent from MooU, I won't have to stand
on the corner with the tin cup or the work-for-food sign, but, it will
barely pay the mortgage..... unless I do something.  I know, I could
retrofit winblows boxes with *nix at the flea market!.....(:+}}...
Bob's Install While You Shop UnixFest!

Egads!

> I actually made a headhunter choke on his overpriced coffee-based beverage
> when I told him my hourly rate was $150.  He tried to tell me that it was
> too high - so I asked if they were going to provide: health/dental benefits,
> vacation/sick time, 401k or IRA plans, pensions or other retirement
> benefits, etc etc.  I swear he went from swarthy tan, to stone white in a
> matter of seconds - as if I had just exposed their dirty little secret.
> That was fun.

That is a great line!  I will have to remember that....(:+}}...

lessee... ``And, your bennies package in consulting pays what retirement,
            allows what leave/sick time, and has what medical coverages?''

Sounds like that might be fun to do.....(:+}}...

Bob