[rescue] TCP Wrappers

Mike Meredith rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 8 16:32:13 CDT 2001

On Monday 08 October 2001 21:51, you wrote:
> inetd.conf (*please* tell me that no one is
> running sadmind or KCMS, right?) and you could

Just to disappoint you ...

I've recently had the pleasure of dealing with a black box application
with the sort of installation of Solaris you would expect from an
academic. Aparently it is normal for this company to charge 5,000 for
an out of the box installation of Solaris with no security measures at
all --- no patches, no services switched off, no wrappers, and no ssh
installation.

This is for an application whose main users are University libraries
--- where even when the box lives behind a firewall (this one doesn't),
it will live on a hostile network.

Fortunately the PHB's did the right thing and insisted that they fix
the box before they got their money.

And my favourite ... Exim (http://www.exim.org).