[rescue] SGI Challenge S - power gone?

Charles Redmond rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Oct 7 19:08:05 CDT 2001

I recently got an SGI Power Challenge S. I *think* I've soldered up
a correct null modem for it.
The box appears to have an issue and I'm trying to pin-point where.

On powering up, the led glows amber. The fan at the back does not
spin up, and the hard disks leds are on (2 x 500 MB).
Nothing appears on the console.
If left for a while, the fan at the back does spin up. Still nothing on the console.
The machine does not power down and needs to have the power cable
removed.
Where is the failure likely to be? My guess at the moment is the
power supply itself.

Charles