[rescue] openssh on netBSD

Derrick D. Daugherty rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Oct 6 19:06:36 CDT 2001

It's rumored that around Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 01:58:42PM -0400
Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:

> > > I share the same problem. SS5, netbsd, long long time until password
> > > prompt comes. If anyone known the magic demon tweak for this, I would
> > > like to know it, too!
> >

> I had the same issue on a lot of servers at work until I added reverse
> lookup entries in DNS for all the addresses (even if you only use foo1,
> foo2, foo3, etc).  Failing RDNS, try adding entries in your /etc/hosts file
> for all of your machines.  That should speed it up considerably.  SSH tries
> to resolve IP addresses to names, and that can take some time if it can't
> find a name.

Hmm, if this is the case you can look at the ReverseMappingCheck
directive in /usr/local/etc/sshd_conf....

but my real guess is poor entropy/rand source..you can add on other ways to
do it... EGD[1], entropy gathering daemon..or PRNGD[2]. either of these
should help if it's really the key generation that's taking a while.  a krace
on the daemon would tell ya.  worth a shot to see if it makes a diff
over /dev/random.   I think i've also read past issues with /dev/random
on sparc..but I could be on crack..also, make sure ya compild it in
there ;)

another thing to consider which goes with what Kurt was saying.  From
their faq:

http://www.openssh.com/faq.html#3.3

3.3 - ssh(1) takes a long time to connect with Linux/glibc 2.1

The glibc shipped with Redhat 6.1 appears to take a long time to resolve
"IPv6 or IPv4" addresses from domain names. This can be kludged around
with the --with-ipv4-default configure option. This instructs OpenSSH to
use IPv4-only address resolution. (IPv6 lookups may still be made by
specifying the -6 option).

Sure it says linux, but thought it was worth mentioning.

HTH,
^Derrick

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/egd/
[2] http://www.aet.tu-cottbus.de/personen/jaenicke/postfix_tls/prngd.html