[rescue] TYPE 6 SUCKS

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 5 23:27:17 CDT 2001

> This is intended to allow a second "station" on a single Sun box by adding
> a Sun kb/mouse (which are async serial) to 2 unused serial ports.  What it
> really is is a pair of openwin device drivers to allow an X server to hook
> into a Sun kb/mouse on a normal serial port.  There is no reason you can't
> use this to drive your "primary" mouse.

Not entirely related, but awhile back I can across an article about adding
a second station to PCs using a USB keyboard and mouse.  Apparently nobody
ever does it, but it is entirely possible to set up two or more
display/keyboard/mouse setups to a linux box.  It looked dirt
simple.  However, the article did note that it only works with XFree
(meaning the stations can't currently pretend to be serial or svgalib
consoles), and for some reason all the extra stations froze when the
console was switched from the X virtual console to a text virtual console.

This was pretty stinking cool I thought.  But, PCs are cheep enough
nowdays that I don't see this gaining any popularity.

--
Joshua D. Boyd