[rescue] FW: Sun Microsystems to Cut Jobs, Sees Wider-Than-Expected Loss

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 5 16:17:18 CDT 2001

On October 5, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >   It's suitspeak, man.  When I get some Free Time(tm) I plan to
> > implement a filter that bit-buckets any email containing any of the
> > words or phrases in my "suitspeak" archive:
> >
> > enterprise
>
> If you cut this, you will lose all emails refering to Star Trek or our
> Navy.  How can you live with out those?

  It's a TV show.  I watch it on TV.  I don't need to talk about it in
email. ;)

> > action item
>
> I hate that phrase.  I think anyone who uses it seriously should literally
> have PHB or Managerial Putz tattooed on their forehead.

  What's a PHB?

> > isdn
>
> OK, what is wrong with ISDN?  If there is no DSL or cable in the area, it
> is the next best thing.

  ISDN sucks.  It's full of inter-implementation incompatibilities, it's
slow, and it's unreliable.

> > key
>
> So, what did you say your SSH key was again?

  I don't use SSH.  I have a lot of machines, and SSH isn't scalable
enough.  I use Kerberos5.

> > visionary
>
> Darn it, how are we supposed to talk about Seymour Cray then?

  We'll just refer to him as "The Man". :-)

> Perhaps a neural net could be built to filter things based on combinations
> and frequency.  So, posts about Star Trek or SSH would be allow through,
> but posts about an growth enterprise realizing visionary synergy by
> following certain key action items would get trashed.

  Yes.  Though I would filter out SSH-related messages. ;)

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD