[rescue] DEC PWS 433/500a

Todd C. Miller rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 4 23:11:16 CDT 2001

In message <01100219184801.00304 at tails.bebop.org>
	so spake Richard Fredriksson (melka):

> I'm being offered a DEC Personal Workstation 433 or 500 (my choice) for $55 /
> $70. No ram or disk. Is this a fair price? Seems really cheap to me.

I'd say that is worth it :-)  I am running OpenBSD on a 433 right now.

> Could I just buy some cheap standard PC133 SDRAM and use? How is the
> performance compared to other computers?

They take PC66 (or better) ECC DIMMs which must be installed in pairs.

I recently bought 2 Kingston KVR100X72C2/128 DIMMs from Dell for
around ~$35 total shipped but Dell was out of those last I checked.
You can search pricewatch for KVR100X72C2 to find others selling
the Kingston part, buy from Crucial (~$25/each) or perhaps find
a better deal ;-)

 - todd