[rescue] Slipery Windows

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 2 05:26:05 CDT 2001

Have laptop;  have ethernet card;  have no pigtail to go with PC Ethernet
card... so, I'm *trying* to setup up SLIP on this Windows 0.95 Laptop to
talk to SLIP on my Debian/Sparc box.

So far, so good;  except that Windows seems to feel the need to use a Modem
to do the whole AT thing first;  rather than just letting me talk
"Direct to COM1", like you can, in say HyperTerm.

Any suggestions/clue/drivers/snifty-scripts on ways to get around this?:

  a]  Figure out how to make the DUN skip the whole `dialing-first' thing

  b]  Plonk an expect script on the Unix box to eat the AT commands (anyone
      have one to hand, as my `Manual' methods of being a modem doesn't
      appear to live up to Window's `expect'ations [no pun intented]?)

  c]  Some other reckless suggestion, liable to aid progress?

TIA,
Paul

PS.  I need to the slip to grab the install files, so that I can run
partion-magic; and Loadlin to bootstrap Debian!  ;-)