[rescue] Quadra 840AV

Andrew Weiss rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 1 13:29:00 CDT 2001

>    What do you run on the 840AV? I have one in a box in my basement that I
> was starting to try something -- uh, NetBSD maybe? -- on right before the
> baby was born. (She's two now, so I have a little time...)
>    I, too, was a Mac hardware guy for years and years until I got this job.
> -wde

Yeah I worked in service for a long time doing Macs, PC's, printers, etc.
and I always groaned when the PC's stacked up waiting to be fixed... but
the Macs were a joy ... I had the whole system automated including Apple
Service Source through our firewall... an assembly line.  It was fun.  I
was good enough to tell each mac in the dark by it's boot chime (gotten
from a You know you're a Mac Addict when....)  And to think I hated Macs
for so long in high school.

The 840AV has a 2 GB Quantum drive in it which I'm going to pull and
replace with 2 1 GB drives.  (I need the 2 for the Sparc LX).  I was
trying to install Debian 2.2r3, and was mostly successful but something is
wrong with the logic board... the ethernet onboard doesn't even work in OS
8.1 or 7.6.1. (Blank MAC address) And I get the bongos on 50% or more of
startups.  It has a new PRAM battery and I've swapped everything.  I'm
going to swap the logic board when my buddy mails me my other one from
Cornell and then continue the install.

Regards,

Andrew