DNS Security (was: RE: [SunRescue] hosts file And DNS files??)

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 20:12:25 CDT 2001

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Yes, you might want to use my BIND-4 tools to integrate the BIND-4
> resolver into libc on SunOS-4, but that doesn't mean you can't run
> BIND-8's named (or that you have to run the BIND-4 named either, of
> course).  It wouldn't take a decent systems programmer very long to
> integrate even most of BIND-8's resolver into libc on SunOS-4 either.  I
> had it mostly done but not packaged before I ditched supporting SunOS-4.

When you have a network of SunOS 4 systems receiving hostname resolution
from a SunOS 4 YP master and you can't get access to these systems to
tweak the system resolver, you need a BIND 4 caching nameserver to point
the master to.  I ran into this problem frequently during BIND 8 rollout.
There's a resolver bug I filed with Sun that was specifically rejected at
the time because at the time no Sun product shipped with BIND 8 (this was
in the days of 2.6).  After 7 was released I refiled it, it was then swept
under the rug when SunOS 4 support was totally discontinued.

-James