[SunRescue] Re: ObQuestion

Robert Rose rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 10 04:19:34 CDT 2001

>From: "Loomis, Rip" <GILBERT.R.LOOMIS at saic.com>
>
>ObQuestion:
>I've never played with differential SCSI-2 before,
>but I've just been handed an SBus wide differential
>plus Ethernet card.  Any things I should know about
>cabling/termination differences between this and
>regular FW/SE SCSI?

Yep, there are similarities and differences.  As long as you use wide or
narrow cables, there is no effective difference between Differential and
Single Ended, they're wired "straight through".  There is a difference in
length, differential can be *heaps* longer than SE.

SCA throws an interesting twist, there are differences between SE and Diff
such that a regular (SE) SCA to 50/68 pin adaptor isn't supposed to work
with a Diff SCA disk and controller.  There are Diff specific SCA to 50/68
pin adaptors priced at a premium above the SE variants, probably because
they're less popular.  Hands up if you've ever used a Diff SCA disk.....
not many I bet.  I didn't even know such a beastie existed 'till I picked
some up at auction.  Seagate don't even acknowledge they exist on their
website.

Termination is different between SE and Diff, they're not
interchangable.  The Seagate drives I've seen (narrow, wide and SCA) don't
even have an option of termination like the SE drives do, so you're stuck
trying to find an external one.

Does anyone that's bothered to read this far know where I can find a cheap
68 pin Diff SCSI terminator?  I've got the drives, I've got the controller,
I just need to terminate the damn bus.  I've got a 50 pin terminator, but
I'd really like to get the whole bus running Wide instead of narrow.

cheers,

Rob.