[SunRescue] Dont feel like running BIND for 10 systems

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 31 17:08:25 CST 2001

[ On Saturday, March 31, 2001 at 17:17:09 (-0500), Joshua D. Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [SunRescue] Dont feel like running BIND for 10 systems
>
> So, other than BIND, what other DNS servers are available to do that task?
> I tried to set BIND up, but it was way to hard for the users I have.

It's pretty damn trivial to set up just as a caching server, and not
much harder to add primary or secondary zones to.  In fact it'll pretty
much just work as a cache on most any system if you fire it up with no
changes to the default configuration files.

To have a clean cache you need a bunch of basic zones that for some
reason still are not shipped with the base release.

I've just tar'ed up my basic BIND-8 configs (now that I again have a
system with just basic configs) and have put them here:

	ftp://ftp.weird.com/pub/local/named-sample-conf.tar.gz

Note that user-id "dns", ID#40, in that archive is my unique "dns" user.

Unpack it in /etc, create /var/named and make it writable by the "dns"
user and start named as root with "named -u dns -c /etc/named.conf".

The "dns" user must not have write access to a anything but /var/named
and /etc/namedb/slave (and thus it should not own any files outside of
those two directories).  It should even be fairly self-evident in these
configs how to move /etc/namedb/slave to /var/named/slave or some such
similar name.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>