[SunRescue] OT: CA: It's Our Turn

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 30 16:44:17 CST 2001

Pete - how does this relate to the price of Hard Drives in NV? ;^)

Besides, as I understand it (from my *very distant* perspective, the issue isn't that there isn't enough electricity "on the grid" to support California, and it's not that other states are unwilling to sell (not "share" - what a California term ;^), the real problem (again, as I understand it) is that the utility companies are unwilling/unable to *pay* for the electricity they need to supply their customers.

That demand spiked, that the price went up on the spot market, that the utilities could not engage in long-term supply contracts, etc all contributed to the confusion/problem you folks now face. Of course, lop-sided legislation (again, as I understand it) accelerated the problem. No one thing would have pushed California into it's current power "crisis", it was a conspiracy of several factors that all came together that made this such a dramatic problem for 'yall.

Oh, and by the way, I take issue with some of the number cited in the note you shared... like 48th in power consumption per capita - I suspect this is *residential* power usage... ISP colo facilities use tremendous amounts of power, and are up 24x7, unlike an office tower, and those chip fabrication plants, they must use a fair bit of electricity as well. I suspect that if you divided total electricity usage for the state and divided it by the number of residents, you would *at least* place much closer to the middle of the range...

But, we wouldn't want to get off-topic! ;^)

Ken

<snip>