[SunRescue] qfe on LX, Classic, or IPX?

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 30 11:43:48 CST 2001

>>Anyone know if qfe boards, specifically 501-4302 (version 1.0) will work
>>on a LX, Classic, or IPX?  Plan is to build a ipfilter/ipnat box with it.

I've only heard peripheral complaints about using QFE boards on Sun4m
(LX/Classic) but I do know people are using them.  I'm not sure if they work
on Sun4c (IPX).

As for using this to build and filter/NAT box it all depends on how many
users you are going to have on it.

I've looked around for data on this for my home network and unless you're
running 200+ users the LX or Classic should be fine.  I would suggest
running something other than Solaris on the box though.  A lot of people run
NetBSD or OpenBSD on those machines because it runs a little faster than
Solaris.

Just my $.02. ;-)

Mike Hebel