[SunRescue] Re: OT: dual PPro mb's...

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 29 23:43:09 CST 2001

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 09:30:17PM -0800, Robert Novak wrote:
> My 200/256 chip matched an Ultra 10 300mhz (same Linux kernel release
> number--obviously the appropriate architecture version on each--and same
> gcc version) with identical memory. I've heard several people report that
> a 200/256 will match a P2-400 on some cpu-intensive tasks.

I found a 200/256 to be about the same as an Ultra 1/170E, in
benchmarking.  However, the Ultra handled I/O *much* better -
the 200/256 was running FreeBSD, the Ultra Solaris 2.6.

One of our employees (billing department) loaded up a 40meg
mail folder in pine.  The PC box went *whump* and *stopped* for a good
five-ten seconds while the I/O took place (this was all good scsi).

Same thing on the ultra - nobody noticed.  at all.

course, pine sucks for large folders (mutt handles it much better)...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net