[SunRescue] OT: dual PPro mb's...

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 29 20:51:04 CST 2001

Personally I wouldn't call a dual PPR0 system with a half gig of ram
(something I ran for quite some time) running any sort of UNIX low end.

I know from personal experience that a PPR0 200 is actually better at server
tasks than standard P2's of more than twice it's speed (XEONS are the
exception. The cache is the thing here), and that they are far better SMP
platforms than P2's. Assuming I'm running Linux or OpenBSD I would actually
rather have the dual PPR0 200, than a dual P2 400.

Now if it were a XEON or a PIII that would be a differnet story.

In the mid '90s I served 2700 people with PPP, shell services, personal
websites, and over a hundred corporate websites off of a single dual PPR0
system with 512megs of RAM running FreeBSD, several serial cards, and a
bunch of livingston portmasters connected to 300 or so shucked US Robotics
Sportster 28.8 modems. Add two T1s and a great big UPS and some even bigger
fans, and there was our server apartment (Yes, server apartment not server
room. We had a 2 room apartment 500 feet from the telephone company with a
leased line to our offices about a mile away. At the time the local Telco
charged by the foot for monthly line charges)

Ahh the life of a small ISP

Chris Byrne