[SunRescue] Anyone know what this error message might mean?

Nick Kociuk rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 29 19:47:51 CST 2001

> I've seen these in my /var/log/messages over the last couple of days:
>
> Mar 29 05:07:12 paradoxa /netbsd: sd0(esp0:1:0):  Check Condition on
> CDB: 0x08 0
> 4 d3 84 10 00
> Mar 29 05:07:12 paradoxa /netbsd:     SENSE KEY:  Recovered Error
> Mar 29 05:07:12 paradoxa /netbsd:    INFO FIELD:  316306
> Mar 29 05:07:13 paradoxa /netbsd:      ASC/ASCQ:  ASC 0x18 ASCQ 0x89
> Mar 29 05:07:13 paradoxa /netbsd:
>

> The Check Condition field has varied and the Info field has varied.
> The ASC/ASCQ field is always the same.

The ASC (Additional Sense Code) of 0x18 indicates a recovered media
error, and that the data was probably recovered with via some ECC
method.  The ASCQ (Additional Sense Code Qualifier) of 0x89 is in the
vendor-specific range, so it's difficult to decipher that one without
detailed device specs.

You most likely have a bad disk sector, which the drive is still able to
read using some variety of ECC.