[SunRescue] Leasing Employees

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 29 14:15:37 CST 2001

A lot of the people of this list seem to be sysadmins.  Personally, my
goal in life is to either be a scientist or a developer or some
combination of those two and possibly other fields.

With that in mind, I dream of the day that I can forget how to install
netscape or administer linux, and when something needs to change (either
it broke or needs upgraded) I can just call my companies tech support
desk.  Figuring out why xmms won't compile (because dselect only installed
a minimum of the libgnome dev files) and silly problems like that are the
bane of my existance, and if they won't go away, then I want someone else
to be in charge of fixing them.

By the way, if the developer makes the same or more than you do, then
there is a good business reason for you to install netscape instead of
him.  You probably will be able to get it done faster than he would be
able to, so if it takes you 30 minutes to do it, but would take the
developer an hour, then the company got a half an hour of extra work.

One company I worked for understood this, and so developers were to call
tech support over machine problems rather than try and fix them
themselves.

--
Joshua Boyd