[SunRescue] re: [OT] Reliable net access in the boonies

Sheldon T. Hall rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 27 19:16:54 CST 2001

Message: 5
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 02:40:28 -0800 (PST)
From: James Lockwood <james at foonly.com>
To: rescue at sunhelp.org
Subject: [SunRescue] [OT] Reliable net access in the boonies

[snip setup as to why he needs a new service]

>It's been a couple of years since I've looked at other possibilities, but
>they don't seem to have improved much.

Nope.

>ISDN would be fast enough (barely) but is still metered in Pacbell land.

Ja, but it's not metered in Oregon, I hear.  Just think of Oregon as "far
northern California."

>2-way satellite is available, but the only half-sane services are
>squarely in the consumer oriented camp (require a PC to run them,
>dynamic address, etc).

Starband seems like it has promise, but also problems; see the appropriate
newsgroup or www.starbandusers.com.  Seemingly, "normal" websurfing is OK,
anything else is less so.

>Both full and fractional T1 lines are still about as much as they were
>2 years ago, placing them at quite a high price point. Same goes for
>frame (though the bandwidth/buck ratio is much worse).

Yep.

>Point to point microwave is pretty tough to manage out here in the hills,
>though a tall enough mast might make it possible.

Some guys are doing this on a local basis in Hood River, Oregon, and a
different way in Newport, Oregon.  See www.gorge.net and www.newport.net.  I
don't think the latter's website mentions it, but a message to Don will get
results.

>No cable modems and no word on when they might be available.

Some places will never have 'em.

>What else is out there?

Not a dam' thing I can find.

I feel for you, bro'.  My company wants me to "show the flag" in the Pacific
NW, while telecommuting back here to Ohio.  A fast 'net connection would be
a requirement, and there doesn't seem to be anything reasonable in most
non-urban places.

If you find something, tell all!

-Shel