[SunRescue] [OT] Reliable net access in the boonies

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 27 04:40:28 CST 2001

Ok, it's off topic but probably relevant.

I'm currently connected to the net via an IDSL link through Northpoint and
Zyan. Their service has been quite good, but now that Northpoint is
officially dead (and AT&T has declared that they're only interested in the
equipment, not the customers) I have to research alternatives.

My biggest problem is that Northpoint is the only CLEC that services my
CO, and the ILEC won't sell IDSL service (I'm 49000 wire feet from the
CO).  In addition I'm contemplating a move which will place me into a
completely "DSL-free" zone (which describes the area covered by more than
60% of the CO's in California last I checked).

It's been a couple of years since I've looked at other possibilities, but
they don't seem to have improved much.  ISDN would be fast enough (barely)
but is still metered in Pacbell land.  2-way satellite is available, but
the only half-sane services are squarely in the consumer oriented camp
(require a PC to run them, dynamic address, etc).  Both full and
fractional T1 lines are still about as much as they were 2 years ago,
placing them at quite a high price point.  Same goes for frame (though the
bandwidth/buck ratio is much worse).  Point to point microwave is pretty
tough to manage out here in the hills, though a tall enough mast might
make it possible.  No cable modems and no word on when they might be
available.

What else is out there?  My requirements are fairly basic (and the same as
many other people here, I'm sure), high reliability always-on service
routing to my subnet and delegated reverse DNS.  The way I see it, my two
best bets are getting a T1 and a bunch of interested neighbors to split
the cost, or colocating everything important and using some cheap
connection for my home systems (which I'd really hate to do).  Both are
expensive and would require work.

-James