[SunRescue] Dumb newbie question :-)

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 26 11:50:33 CST 2001

Oops...I missed replying to this one.

The key thing you're missing to get DNS
working is the dain-bramaged "name service
cache daemon" (nscd), which is controlled
by nsswitch.conf.

Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf, and ensure that
the line which begins "hosts" contains the
word "dns" somewhere...our usual config
on systems that aren't using NIS/NIS+
is:

hosts:	dns	files

Alternatively, you can turn off nscd entirely
and things Should Just Work (YMMV).

Hope this helps--

Rip Loomis		Voice Number: (410) 953-6874
Senior Security Engineer
Center for Information Security Technology
http://www.cist.saic.com